Reply to topic

RAM Disk Size Limit
Ben J

Developers and Gizmo friends,
I am having issues creating a large (5 GB) RAM disk. When I go to create on, I enter 5000 MB as the size of the RAM disk, then the drive will show up in Windows as a 1.65 GB drive. I am running a 64-bit Win 7 machine with 24 GB of RAM, 12 of which is free when I tried this.
Is there a size limit to the RAM Disks?
Gargamel Woods

Hello everybody!

I know the post is quite old, but I have the same problem...

I got 16 GB of RAM in my system but I cannot generate a RAMDRIVE of the desired size of 8 GB.

First I tried with 8 GB and got 4GB. Since than, any size I enter results in 1.7 GB...

Is there anybody who has a solution for that?

Thank you!
Gargamel Woods

Hmmmm... no answers...
I'll try to specify the problem in more detail.

My system is an Core I7-2600 @ 3.4 Ghz with 16 GB of RAM under Windows 7 64-bit.

New Gizmo Drive -> RAM Drive -> size: 6000 MB (NTSF) results in a drive of 1.67 GB.
New Gizmo Drive -> RAM Drive -> size: 8000 MB (NTSF) results in a drive of 3.81 GB.
New Gizmo Drive -> RAM Drive -> size: 10000 MB (NTSF) results in a drive of 1.7 GB.
New Gizmo Drive -> RAM Drive -> size: 12000 MB (NTSF) results in a drive of 3.71 GB.
New Gizmo Drive -> RAM Drive -> size: 14000 MB (NTSF) results in a drive of 1.67 GB.

New Gizmo Drive -> RAM Drive -> size: 10240 MB (NTSF) results in a drive of 1.99 GB. Times 5 = 51200 MB (far beyond the capacity but does not give an error) to get 5 times more creates the same size of 1.99 GB.

I do not understand at all why the software is creating a wrong size and above all which rules it follows to specify the size since there would be enough recources to create at least a 10GB drive...

Is there anybody who can tell me what I have to enter to get the right size or if there is a limit in the free version that cannot be exceeded?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers
RAM Disk Size Limit