Reply to topic

VirtualCD like suggestion
Julian Chang
Donor

I have been looking for a freeware virtualCD mounter for my 3 year old daughter, and stumbled upon this incredible Gizmo gadget.

My daughter has been using a licensed copy of virtualCd, which displays icons of all the ISO image, she just need to drag/drop the icons to the virtual CD drive (in the virtualCd manager), and that will fire up the virtualCD.

I have searched for kid-friendly equivalent virtual Cd mounter, and found Gizmo to be the closest. I could create buttons to mount the 50+ iso images, however, each button requires the existing mounted iso to be unmounted first, which is hard for a kid.

Gizmo Central has the the potential to be the killer app for mounting virtual Cds for kids, if:

1) an option to auto unmount the current iso image is available for all virtualdrive button

2) it supports display of unicode text for the buttons in the Gizmo toolbar. Unicode is already supported in the names/titles.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Julian,

We would love to make things easier for your daughter, and we will go ahead and add these changes to the next version. The toolbar should already support Unicode [UTF-8]. You say that the names/titles already support Unicode -- but are you referring to the names/titles of the toolbar items, or the the toolbar itself?

Could you try switching toolbar themes, e.g. Windows Theme vs. Cardinal, to see if this makes any difference?

Donor

Thanks Logan for your speedy response and support!

1) Changing the windows theme did solved the prolblem with the UTF-8 button display text, which works with Chinese UTF-8 now!

The following themes support Chinese button text in the gizmo toolbar:
Windows Theme
Platinum
White

The following *bolden* themes does not render the Chinese UTF-8 button text properly:
Cardinal, Charcoal, Dawan, Lime, Oceanwave, Radiant, Sea Breeze, Sky, Stealth
see

only button text (showing just "L2 - - -" instead of the correct Chinese characters displayed in the menu) does not render properly on the gizmo toolbar, everywhere else it is working fine. Should be the font type chosen?

2) Look forward to your option to auto-unmount an existing mounted iso image in e.g. virtual cddrive v: when a new virtual drive button is clicked (mounting another .iso image in drive vSmile[/img]
Logan Mueller
Support

I appreciate you taking the time to put that screenshot together. I will be sure to follow up here with any progress we make on these concerns!

Julian Chang
Donor

Thanks Logan, Here is another picture showing 2 mount iso toolbar button and the error message when 1 iso image is current mounted and the other mount button is pressed, just to give viewer the feeling of how this could be a killer virtual CD mounter app, especially with multiple tool bars.

In this example, I have set up a single virtual drive v:, that is because installed CD windows games assumes the same fixed drive v:, using multiple virtual drives would require reinstallation of software.

Logan Mueller
Support

We will add an option to fix this. Did you scan the CDs and save the images as ICO? Looks great. We do have plans to add support for PNG, JPG, BMP, as well as other image formats and dimensions. Especially since icons seem to keep getting larger and larger.

Donor

Yes, Logan, I manually scanned the CDs and used GIMP to create the transparent .ico files. It's a pain, but worthwhile for my daughters.

Support for jpg, png images in the toolbar would save me much time, and since png supports transparency, the images will blend in great with the toolbar background.

Kudos to you and the team at Arainia for creating a versatile and impressive freeware.
Logan Mueller
Support

We have confirmed that all non-Latin characters (e.g. Chinese) are not displaying due to a rendering issue with the toolbar. (This affects Advanced Themes only) We would like to fix this for the next release, but it has required some fairly significant changes so far.

Julian confirmed that the rendering issue does not affect Basic Themes, specifically, the themes that are not bolden (Windows Theme, White, Platinum, etc.) If support for non-Latin characters is required, then we suggest using the Basic Themes until the fix is completed.

We have added the new option to "Unmount existing images tied to this drive letter" which can be enabled for each Image Mounter item on the toolbar. This will be made available in the next version, which is scheduled to be released this week.

Support

The option to Unmount existing images tied to this drive letter is available in the latest release, and also, Chinese glyphs can be rendered to Advanced Themes.

Tested with WindowsXP and Windows Vista.

Julian Chang
Donor

That's wonderful Logan! I'll post a review of using Gizmo as a virtual CD mounter on one of the parenting sites, and I hope this will be the killer app for gizmo! Will keep you updated when that is done!
Logan Mueller
Support

Thanks, much appreciated!

Julian Chang
Donor

Logan,

I have upgraded to the donor edition, and configured only 1 virtual drives, starting from v:.

I have also edit all my toolbar mount image buttons with the following options

- drive letter = tried {v:, Auto}
- checked "unmount existing images tied to this drive letter"
- afterwards = run autoplay, or launch Windows Explorer
- check mount image as read-only

If already mounted: tried {unmount the image silently, Run AutoPlay or Launch Windows Explorer}

However, after I click on the very first button (thereby mounting the first iso image), I am unable to mount any other images via the gizmo buttons, each mount button gives the same error :

There are no more virtual devices available for mounting Click "Devices", if you would like to allocate more.

Could you replicate this bug using a single virtual drive setup?

Thanks much!
Logan Mueller
Support

Sorry about that. The fix will be in the next release. It should be out in the next couple of days. In the meantime, you could allocate at least 2 virtual drives to your computer, and it will work in the version that currently you have (it is not necessary to set the number of virtual drives to 1 to achieve the functionality that you're looking for)

For each Image Mounter, I would set Drive Letter to V. Each Image Mounter should point to the same drive letter, in your case. None of them should be Automatic, since Gizmo is designed to pick the next unused available letter in that case. For the If already mounted option, you can use Run AutoPlay or Launch Windows Explorer instead of any of the 'unmounting' options. Thanks for donating!

Julian Chang
Donor

Yes Logan, the feature works like a charm if I have 2 or more virtual drives enabled. I start with the drive letter V:, and whenever I click on a new button (that is supposed to mount another .iso image), gizmo does a little trick by unmounting the old image, and using the other drive to mount the new image, although the same first (VSmile drive letter will still be used.

Thanks much!

Will be installing it for my 7 year old and 4 year old daughters!

Kuiyu
Logan Mueller
Support

Wonderful! v2.6.4 was released today, and this fixes the issue which arises when only 1 virtual drive is allocated. Please don't hesitate to post any other great ideas you may have!