Reply to topic

Unable to update Gizmo Central 2.7
Jeffrey Taylor

This problem occurs under Windows XP SP3, while using the Comodo Internet Security Firewall and a Westell 7500 modem/router with an active firewall.

When I open the Gizmo icon in the System Tray, and click on "Check for Updates," the Gizmo manager opens, and I get an error message: "There was a problem communicating with the server."

There is never any problem with my connection when I receive these messages, so I assumed it was due to a problem with a firewall blocking the communication. In the 10-15 seconds that Gizmo is trying to make that connection, I can see that gizmo.exe is trying to connect to 174.120.202.189, using the TCP protocol. A few bytes pass out, and a few come in. The hardware firewall shows that it allowed the connection, which means that the software firewall let the connection attempt pass, possibly because I specifically gave gizmo.exe permission to make connections.

So, was your server having problems at 11:15 PM (GMT -8, Los Angeles) on Thursday night, or do we have some oher problem?
Joel Rey

I keep having this problem with two different windows 7 pc's.. it just says, unable to connect to server. Check your connection, but my connection is fine.

Anyone have soloution?
Jeffrey Taylor

Joel, I've checked twice since posting my original message, and found that the problem persisted. So, it apparently is not a problem with the Arainia server--unless it's been down for days. That is, of course, a possibility. How about you? When did you first notice this problem? Have you observed it on several occasions?
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Jeffrey/Joel,

You can also apply the latest updates by downloading the Gizmo installer from this web site and running it on top of your existing installation.

I've been having the same problem. Multiple Windows 7 PCs, mix of x86 & x64, Pro & Ultimate. Hasn't always done this, but not sure when it started ... a few weeks ago maybe. Couldn't find any sign of anyone else having the problem so decided to wait and see if it persisted. (It has.) Uninstall & reinstall doesn't help. Neither does disabling Windows Firewall & MS Security Essentials. Installing from the download doesn't work around the problem entirely because there are additional modules that AFAIK can only be added after then initial installation via the (now-broken) Software Updates page.
Gizmo User

I am a new user, just installed 2.7.9 on Windows 7 x64 SP1.
I get this message when I try to update:

There was a problem communicating with the server. Check the Internet settings yadayada...

According to my firewall (Agnitum Outpost 7.5.2) log, gizmo.exe made a successful connection, sent 811 byte and received 197 bytes:
21:01:25 GIZMO.EXE OUT TCP bd.ca.78ae.static.theplanet.com 80 Allow all activity for GIZMO.EXE 811 197

So, the connection is alive, but the problem is somewhere else.

The only I need this because the Gizmo Manager says I have to use this to get the icon pack. Can I download that somewhere else?

Thank you!
Unable to update Gizmo Central 2.7