Reply to topic

VHD mount questions/feature request
Sue Morton

Good Morning,

I have set Gizmo to mount a non-bootable VHD to a drive letter for me on startup of my XP machine. This is working perfectly in almost every respect and is a great feature. Thank you!

For various reasons, periodically I need to manually dismount the VHD. When I do, Gizmo does not remember to remount the drive on startup unless *I* first remember to mount it and enable the 'mount at startup' option before the machine reboots.

This is pilot error to be sure Smile Still, it would be so useful if Gizmo could have a 'persistent' option in the GUI, so that an image will still be mounted at startup regardless of last mount status?

I can use the command line mount with my startup script to accomplish this, but having this option in the GUI would make management of mounted images very easy to change especially on a temporary basis. Thank you in advance for your consideration of this idea.

In a related area, it is great that the Gizmo GUI 'remembers' the last drive letter used and offers it on a manual mount of the image. Is it possible for Gizmo to remember and offer the last 'mount at startup' and the last 'persistence' (if implemented) settings used? And, is it possible to have Gizmo show/allow edit of these retained settings, whether or not the image is currently mounted?

While certainly not critical features, I think these three additions would enhance easy management of images from the Gizmo GUI. Thank you again in advance for your consideration of these ideas for Gizmo.

Kind regards,
--Sue Morton
Sue Morton

Edit to previous post:

I tried the command line mount option as suggested in the help for Gizmo Drive. This is what I used at startup:

"c:\Program Files\Gizmo\gizmo.exe" /Mount:"C:\_D-Drive\drive-d.vhd"

This simply brought up the GUI and offered for me to select my mount options.

I was hoping the command line meant a silent mount of the image instead. Is there additional syntax available for this command, such as to mount silently and also to allow me to specify the drive letter (in case I used a different letter last time I mounted the image in Gizmo)?

I did try "gizmo /?" and "gizmo /help" from command line but did not get any further information. Thank you for any help you can give.

Kind regards,
--Sue Morton
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Sue,

It's not documented very well, but you can do silent mount by command line by passing the options, delimited by pipe:

gizmo /Mount:"{image-path}|{drive-letter}|{post-mount-action}|{is-read-only}|{volume-index}|{password}"

For example:

gizmo /Mount:"C:\_D-Drive\drive-d.vhd|D|do-nothing|N|0"

Valid enumerations for {post-mount-action} include:

do-nothing
autoplay-or-explorer
autoplay
explorer

For VHDs, the {volumn-index} is essentially the partition. If there is only one partition, passing 0 (or excluding this option) should be sufficient.

Finally, the {password} option would not apply to VHD.

Support

Thank you for the suggestions. It is currently not possible to edit the default settings on the mounting screen. Gizmo simply remembers the last used values for only some of the options, such as the drive letter (as you mentioned). We will certainly look to enhance this in a future version.

Thank you for the extended command information, this should do the trick nicely to take care of remount at startup and also my remote shares script as you noted in my other thread.

And thank you again for your consideration of ideas for future Gizmo features.

Kind regards,
--Sue Morton
Sue Morton

Well, I've just had opportunity to use a startup batch file, I'm not quite enjoying the success I had hoped for. I do have a workable solution, but perhaps you can help smooth it out?

The command line mounting options do work just fine. However, two things I've noted:

1. It's not truly silent -- the Gizmo splash screen is displayed (Gizmo Central is not already running so this command launches it). This is not a problem but since we spoke of "silent" mount I thought I'd mention it. (I looked but didn't find an option to disable the splash screen.)

I also see Gizmo Central does not terminate after the VHD is mounted. And the CMD window does not terminate until Gizmo Central terminates.

A work around is to ensure Gizmo Central has already started before the command line mount is executed. I was hoping to use the command line such that I could use Gizmo Drive, without opening Gizmo Central.

2. More importantly, the console window does not wait for the mount of the VHD. I tried using the start /wait /b command to start Gizmo but it also returned immediately.

In order to ensure my remote shares script does not execute prematurely, I'm using a third party tool to pause the batch file some seconds following the VHD mount request.

If it is possible to add an option on Gizmo mount, to wait for the mount to complete (and also set ERRORLEVEL according to success, if that is possible) it would be a useful addition for scripts. Thanks again for consideration of my idea. In the meantime, my workaround is useful and is successful on almost every reboot.

Kind regards,
--Sue Morton
Sue Morton

I posted too soon. I can't seem to get a startup batch file to consistently mount the VHD after the machine is rebooted. Most of the time the VHD is not mounted after bootup into Window finishes.

I've switched to using an AutoIt3 script. I watch/wait for the Gizmo Drive service to be started, then pause 10 seconds before issuing the command line mount command.

I'm out of time for now to play with this, so I'll go back to letting Gizmo central re-mount the drive at startup and running my shares script manually.

I do know that the script works fine if I only log off/log on to windows, instead of full reboot. It also works if I run the script after windows is already up.

There must be some other dependency my script needs to wait for... Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,
--Sue Morton
VHD mount questions/feature request