Reply to topic

photo quality degraded after publishing albums
mathewiv

I've noticed that the photo quality of the large images degrade after publishing the albums as web pages. I even compared the file sizes of the photos before and after publishing... and they are all smaller.
Why is this happening?
Logan Mueller
Support

Hello,

Quick Album resizes the images so that they fit on screen. As far as quality is concerned, the JPG files are compressed at 80%, so there should be no noticable difference in quality. (No more than your digital camera, at least)

If you are associating image size to quality, keep in mind that when viewing pictures on the screen, the size of the image doesn't make a difference in quality, actually. (Unless you want to zoom in)

This is different from printers, because some printers have better DPI than others. But with monitors, most people have their resolution set to 1024x768, and when making web pages, people tend to size their pictures based on that resolution.

If you want to make the pictures bigger, you can change the sizes that Quick Album uses by altering the width/height paremters in the web kit presets. But keep in mind, not everyone will have the save size monitor or same resolution.

Thank you for your question. Kind regards,

Logan
Quick Album Support

Is there anyway i can change the jpeg quality from 80% to say a 90%? because its really screwing up the way some of the jpeg files look (even on screen). Coz some of the original jpeg files are compressed at around 85%.... and when the software saves them again at 80%.... well u can imagine.
Logan Mueller
Support

First, I'd like to clarify that when I said Quick Album compresses images at 80%, what I really meant was that they are compressed at 80% "quality" and not 80% compressed. Smile

Unfortunately it isn't possible to change JPG quality in the current version, though I think the problem you are having might involve something else. What type of distortion are you experiencing? What type of images are these? Photographs, screenshots, rasterized vector-graphics?

For photographs, 80% JPG quality is spectacular, almost a surplus. You really shoudnl't see any difference between the original and compressed image. If you have vector graphics (i.e. cartoonish clipart) you *might* see a couple of JPG "fuzz blocks" here and there, but usually not at 80% quality.

If you have an image editing program, try resizing the same image from the original there and saving it to a separate file. See if you get the same results.

If you can send me a sample JPG, that might help too.