Reply to topic

Unhandled win32 exception
Devlin Bentley
Donor

My previous install of Gizmo was broken so I installed a new version and id an update. After the reboot I get an unhandled win32 exception when trying to start up Gizmo.

Callstack
Code:

00000000()
gscript.dll!0352af38()
[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for gscript.dll]
kernel32.dll!HeapFree(void * hHeap=0x01c88908, unsigned long dwFlags=1242328, void * lpMem=0x0012f4e4)  Line 853 + 0xf bytes
ntdll.dll!RtlFreeHeap(void * HeapHandle=0x00280000, unsigned long Flags=0, void * BaseAddress=0x01c88900)  Line 1811 + 0x12 bytes
kernel32.dll!HeapFree(void * hHeap=0x00280000, unsigned long dwFlags=0, void * lpMem=0x763e9d78)  Line 853 + 0xf bytes
msvcrt.dll!free(void * pBlock=0x6591ce41)  Line 183
0012f480()
gscript.dll!0353a5df()
gscript.dll!0352cc65()
gvillage.dll!02de74e5()
gvillage.dll!02e81967()
gvillage.dll!02def172()
gvillage.dll!02e82462()
gizmo.exe!004059b9()
mfc42.dll!AfxDlgProc(HWND__ * hWnd=, unsigned int message=, unsigned int __formal=, unsigned int __formal=)  Line 40

Exception Details
Code:

Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in gizmo.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

File Versions (sorry, I've been sitting on this awhile)
Code:

C:\Program Files\Gizmo>getver *.*
                   2.6.3.0  gdatabase.dll
                   2.6.1.0  gdirector.exe
                   2.6.5.0  gdrive.dll
                   2.6.0.0  geditor.dll
                   1.5.0.0  ggui.dll
                   2.6.3.0  ghash.dll
                   2.6.1.0  ghook.dll
                   2.6.1.0  gimage.dll
                         ?  gimage.gimages
                   2.6.0.0  gimagex.dll
                         ?  gimagex.gimage
                   2.6.6.0  gizmo.exe
                   2.6.6.0  gmanager.dll
                   2.0.1.0  grender.dll
                   2.6.0.0  gscript.dll
                   2.6.2.0  gservice.exe
                   2.6.0.0  gshell-x64.dll
                   2.6.0.0  gshell.dll
                   2.6.0.0  gsync.dll
                   2.6.6.0  gvillage.dll

If you need anything else, just let me know.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Devlin,

Some version numbers don't match with the dependencies. This would explain the crashing. This is what I suggest at this point:

1. Rename the Gizmo folder in My Documents to something else (e.g. Gizmo-Temp) This will temporarily hide your toolbars, etc.
2. Uninstall Gizmo with the uninstaller, and answer No to the documents question
3. After uninstall, please reboot computer
4. Download and install the latest Standard Edition from this web site
5. After install, go to the Software Updates screen, and be sure that all the Standard Edition modules are up-to-date
6. Next, enter your Arainia Membership credentials to get the Donor Edition
7. Update to Donor Edition
8. Reboot, if necessary
9. After reboot, please close Gizmo
10. Now, delete the newly created Gizmo folder in My Documents, and rename Gizmo-Temp folder back to Gizmo (This will restore your toolbars, etc.)
11. Start Gizmo

Please let me know if this works.

Donor

Logan Mueller wrote:
Hi Devlin,

Some version numbers don't match with the dependencies. This would explain the crashing. This is what I suggest at this point:

1. Rename the Gizmo folder in My Documents to something else (e.g. Gizmo-Temp) This will temporarily hide your toolbars, etc.
2. Uninstall Gizmo with the uninstaller, and answer No to the documents question
3. After uninstall, please reboot computer
4. Download and install the latest Standard Edition from this web site
5. After install, go to the Software Updates screen, and be sure that all the Standard Edition modules are up-to-date
6. Next, enter your Arainia Membership credentials to get the Donor Edition
7. Update to Donor Edition
8. Reboot, if necessary
9. After reboot, please close Gizmo
10. Now, delete the newly created Gizmo folder in My Documents, and rename Gizmo-Temp folder back to Gizmo (This will restore your toolbars, etc.)
11. Start Gizmo

Please let me know if this works.

I did all that right after I posted the above message. I couldn't stand not having Gizmo around, my productivity was dropping too much. Wink I use Gizmo to manage the army of batch files that control my development environment, and I was getting sick and tired of trying to remember what stupid order I had made the batch files take parameters in and running them by hand.

And now with groups, I have a super organized solution! Though I think the carousel was more impressive looking. Wink

(I find it strange that I am using such a great looking program to control a bunch of DOS windows Razz )
Logan Mueller
Support

You don't think DOS is attractive? Even with its beautifully proportional fonts? Smile Maybe a DOS theme rendered in high ASCII text would help those build environments blend in better. Wink

Donor

Be sure to include the infamous blinking colors!!! Those could drive a person nuts. Especially on any BBS. Laughing Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Logan Mueller
Support

That actually sounds interesting. Smile

Donor

Nate Peterson wrote:
Be sure to include the infamous blinking colors!!! Those could drive a person nuts. Especially on any BBS. Laughing Rolling Eyes Embarassed

*sigh* I still miss BBSs. ANSI fun! Smile

Even over those old slow dial up connections, reading messages on BBSs seemed faster than going through web forums is now days on broadband!
Nate Peterson
Donor

Amen to that! If the login process was made a little easier on some forums (cough) dial-up BBSs wouldn't stand a chance! Laughing Wink
Logan Mueller
Support

The site (and forums) will be improved soon! Or I could dig up a copy of PCBoard, DOS 6.22, and 2400bps modem?