Reply to topic

Continually encroaching toolbars
Mike Sanders
Donor

I am permanently being plagued by the toolbars continually coming onto the screen when I am working on another document.

I have the toolbar options UNCHECKED for "Keep tool bar on top"; CHECKED for both "Show toolbar as mouse approaches" and "Hide toolbar when mouse leaves" - but I only want to use these "mouse" options when I am needing the toolbar for a shortcut from the desktop - NOT when I am working on another document. As soon as the mouse goes near the area of the toolbar whilst working on the other document - bang! out comes the toolbar.

How can I prevent this happening? Is it anything to do with "losing input focus" (please explain for the ignorant!)? Am I missing something?

I am also finding that the Gizmo blue/white lifebelt icon only very occasionally appears in my systems tray - any suggestions how I can ensure that it is always shown?

Thanks for any help.

Mike Sanders

PS I recently suggested with your "ideas" box that it would be useful to have a small tab at the toolbar location in the Theme Colour with the Toolbar Title showing. I'm loosing track as to where my toolbars are! Has this suggestion been taken on board?
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Mike,

There is a new Sensitivity option which was added in a recent update. Try adjusting this. Otherwise, the only other way to prevent the toolbar from appearing, under these circumstances, is to disable Show toolbar as mouse approaches

I suppose a new option could be added to show the toolbar only if the mouse is hovering over the desktop, with no overlapping windows in the toolbar region. Some folks may like either behavior.

As for the life belt. Windows automatically hides any icons in the System Tray, if they are not used frequently. It is possible to adjust this by right-clicking on the Task Bar, select Properties, select the Notification Area tab, then browse down to the Gizmo icon and select Show from the dropdown, so that it is never made hidden.

I did receive your original suggestion, with respect to showing tabs at the locations of each toolbar. Thank you, it's a great idea and I've written it down so that it will be implemented in a future release.

Mike Sanders
Donor

Following on this thread of encroaching toolbars -

My experience:-

If you operate two screens, you only have one Systems Tray. If you hover the mouse over the icon in the Systems Tray, then (assuming that you have this option checked), then all the toolbars on both screens will appear.

You can them move the mouse to the toolbar you want to use on the first screen where the Systems Tray is, and click on the relevant item to view the page/URL etc. The toolbars the disappear, and you can get on with viewing other screens. Great!

However! If you move the mouse from the icon in the Systems Tray to the second screen, all toolbars disappear, and there is no chance to click on the toolbar you require.

I think this may be a bug for multi-screen users - any ideas/suggestions?

Mike Sanders
Logan Mueller
Support

As you drag the mouse to the second screen, do you pass over any toolbars in the process? Do they have Hide toolbar when mouse leaves option enabled? Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce this problem otherwise. Confused

Back to the original problem: There is a new option in the latest update called Require mouse to be over desktop which keeps Show toolbar as mouse approaches from encroaching upon the screen, if an application is maximized, or a window overlaps the hot spot region. Please let me know if this helps any!

I would like to make on recommendation here as well. I love the sensitivity options/etc, but sometimes it still becomes an annoyance. For example, if you are dragging a window, the menu will pop up and cause you to lose focus on the window. Also sometimes when browsing program menus (or deep into the start menu with location:bottom) the toolbar will pop up as well.

I think there should be an option for either a) disable toolbar popup while the mouse button is pressed (ie dragging windows), or b), let there be a hotkey you can hold and then just hover the mouse in the area (ie, hold ctrl and hover mouse for menu).

Another thing that would be excellent would be to configure the size of the sensitivity area in which the menu pops up. For example I would to set it so only when my mouse is at the very top edge of my screen the toolbar will pop up, not when it is ~20-30px down.

All in all excellent software, being a "power user" I was surprised when I stumbled on this. I figured I had known about all the great little tools out there.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi T.J.,

These are all great suggestions. We eventually wanted to make the sensitivity area configurable, perhaps allow the user to draw a hot spot on their desktop, for each toolbar, if they really wanted to. Most likely we'll focus on doing this in the next couple of releases. Thank you for the info!