Reply to topic

startup error
Kay Klutchko

I have gizmo in my startup group. Upon boot, I see the splash screen, and my toolbar...a couple of minutes later, I get this error...

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\Gizmo\gizmo.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

When I click OK, Gizmo closes.

I have tried removing all non-essentials from my startup group and rebooting, same problem. I have tried removing Gizmo from my startup group and rebooting, then starting Gizmo manually. When I do this, I have noticed two things. First, if I begin doing things right away, working in other programs and such, I do not get the Gizmo error - (well, not YET). BUT if I do nothing after starting Gizmo, but I simply sit and wait to see what happens, after a minute or two, I get the error.

I'm completely stumped. Any ideas of other things I should try?
Logan Mueller
Support

Oh no. Confused Would you try turning off "Automatically check for updates", under Gizmo Manager > Software Updates > Options, just to see if it keeps the application from crashing?

That seems to have stopped the crashing. I'll let you know if it reappears once I reboot.
Logan Mueller
Support

Interesting. How I wish these things would happen on a nearby computer. Smile How about with the version released today -- if you turn the option back on, does it still cause the application to crash?

updated.
turned on automatic updates.
same error.
turned off automatic updates.
no error.
{shrug}
it's no big deal to me, I don't really need automatic updates turned on anyway, but I know you want to fix this....
(just fyi, in case it matters, I'm using XP, and a dial up connection which I do not keep connected)
Logan Mueller
Support

Brilliant. That was it. Thanks for the info!

(I'm always doing that, saying something brilliant and having no idea why)
Wink
So, what exactly was significant? The automatic update trying to run when I am not online, giving the error?
Logan Mueller
Support

Yeah, it's very embarrassing. Embarassed Basically any network error would cause Software Updates to simply fault.