Reply to topic

Opening documents
Kay Klutchko

using Gizmo 2.5.5
I've been having trouble getting this version to open documents, specifically spreadsheets.
I was able to get Word documents to open, by leaving the "working folder" blank. But I still cannot get all three of my Excel spreadsheets to work. One of them will work, but two of them do not. I have tried leaving the "working folder" blank, but that does not help. The one excel spreadsheet that does successfully open has it's "working folder" filled in, but even with that filled in, the other two won't open properly. I can open all of my excel documents fine if I go through the normal manual methods, so I know these documents are fine and will open. Both of the Excel spreadsheets that will not open are located in the same folder as one of the Word documents that WILL open through the Gizmo toolbar...so I think that rules out a problem with the folder itself. Any ideas where I should be looking for the problem?
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Kay,

It sounds like something is fishy with the file associations. The "working folder" shouldn't have an impact on how the document is opened, unless you are using a relative path to the document.

Do the problematic files have spaces in the filename? You might need to supply quotes around the path. I know that the default file associations for Excel will take care of this for you.

In your post, you said "getting this version to open documents". By this, were you saying that the documents opened successfully in an earlier version?

Try going to Start > Run and copying the full path to one of the documents. See if you get the error message here. Gizmo basically does what Windows does in this case.

I tried pasting the text I have in Gizmo's "TARGET" line into the Start/Run dialog of XP, and the files opened perfectly.

BUT - I have solved the problem...although I'm not sure WHY the problem existed in the first place. The names were typed exactly as they were supposed to be typed in the "TARGET" box. (as proven by the fact that when I copied/pasted that text into the Start/Run box, it worked fine)

When I tried using Gizmo's BROWSE feature to find the file and just click on it to add it to the TARGET box, it added the item exactly as I had already entered it. HOWEVER, once I had used the BROWSE to enter the item, it works. I tried this on both files that would not open, and using the BROWSE to enter the filename seems to have corrected the problem.

I'm guessing that using BROWSE establishes a connection that somehow got broken when I had changed my default documents folder...but that's only my "only slightly educated" guess... (very slightly) Smile
Logan Mueller
Support

I took a glance at the code, and the only thing that the "Browse" button actually does is launch the file browser and populate the corresponding "target" field. Your observation is interesting though. I think maybe the original "target" values had one or more spaces in front of them. The Windows "Start > Run" mechanism seems to be forgiving, in this regard. (Allowing the spaces that could have been copied over) whereas Gizmo does not like the spaces. After the "Browse" button was used, the spaces were probably removed at that point.

It's probably a good idea to have Gizmo trim any leading spaces automatically, in a future version. Very Happy

This problem has reared it's ugly head again. It appears that when I first "recreate" the link to a document, it works fine. But a few days later, after multiple reboots over a few days, I try to open the same document again, (and this time I tried also a different document), and once again only the application opens (Word or Excel) but not the document. None of my filenames have spaces in them...so I'm back to square one again....(any ideas?)
Thanks!
Kay
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Kay,

Which version of Office are you using, and have there been any previous versions of Office installed on this installation of Windows?

I have Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional. There might have been a trial version of Office 2002 on this computer when I got it years ago, but since I have the full version of 2000, that is what I installed and what I use. If there was once another version, it was deleted long ago.
Logan Mueller
Support

I'm pretty certain I've found the cause. Although I never actually reproduced this on any of my machines, I'm pretty positive that it's a timing issue with any applications that use DDE to open documents, e.g. Microsoft Office. There is a fix in the next version, which should be out next week. If you could try that out, and follow up here with any results, that would be greatly appreciated.

upgraded to 2.5.9
documents are opening wonderfully now! THANKS!
Currently having another issue that has newly popped up, before I say anything more I'm going to check out a few possibilities first though...(want to determine if the new issue is a gizmo problem or something completely unrelated)
Logan Mueller
Support

Ah excellent, that's great news!