Reply to topic

Simultaneous Toolbars
Mike Sanders
Donor

Hi, Logan. I am new to Gizmo, but what I have seen in the last few days looks very good. Problem at present, though - I note from the support pages that the latest version just released supports several toolbars on the screen at the same time (rather than, as in the past, central mouse click to toggle between toolbars). But..... how do you set this feature up? Any advice gratefully received.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Mike,

Use the Toolbar Wizard to 'Add a new toolbar' on the Toolbar Setup screen. Once the wizard is complete, a new tab will appear. Each tab is representative of a toolbar.

Click the 'Save' button to have the changes officially saved. Upon doing so, the application will display any toolbars that were changed since its last save, thus showing the new toolbar. If a hot key was assigned, feel free to use the hot key to toggle the visibility of the toolbar, or use the master hot key (Win+Z) to toggle the display of all toolbars.

Tips:
- The display of each toolbar can be toggled by right-clicking on the life-preserver in the system tray, and selecting "Show Toolbars" or "Hide Toolbars". A menu item is also made for each toolbar, e.g. "Show Bottom, Right" or "Hide Bottom, Right"
- If more than one toolbar is visible, it is OK to drag-and-drop items between them

Mike Sanders
Donor

Hi, Logan – Thanks for your quick reply to my two postings. I think that somewhere along the line I have made a mistake, or else I have misunderstood you.

If I go to the file “Gizmo” under “My Documents”, I have 8 toolbars listed. However going to Gizmo Manager – [Toolbar Setup], in the side panel there is “Start Page”, “Options”, “Toolbar Setup” etc. Under Toolbar Setup I only ever have one toolbar listed, which changes depending upon which toolbar is “active” and only ever shows the one “active” toolbar.

Similarly, I can only ever get the toolbar which is shown on the Toolbar Setup Page to be displayed on the screen.

Each time I have set up a new toolbar, I have saved it (presumably as confirmed by the files in “Gizmo” under “My Documents”). It seems that I am not getting new tabs for each new toolbar under Toolbar Setup on the side screen, even though they are apparently being saved.

If I right click on the tab showing the toolbar name on the Toolbar Setup screen, it does give me “Hide Toolbars” or “Show All Toolbars” in the drop down menu – but if I click “Show All Toolbars”, all I get is the one toolbar coming on the screen.

Also, I have not assigned any particular hot key to the new toolbars, but I assume that the master hot key of Win+Z should act wherever you are – I cannot get any response at all from this!

Does this info help you to understand what I am doing wrong? Also, can the toolbars be deleted any way other than going to the “Gizmo” file under “My Documents” and deleting it from there?

I think any advice you can give me on this will help me solve the problems in my second posting………..

Thanks .. Mike
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Mike,

I can understand the confusion, especially if you have used an earlier version of Gizmo. When v2.5.5 was released, the concept of a "toolbar" was morphed into the concept of a "Toolbar Setup". And so, in order to have more than one toolbar on the screen, each "toolbar" should be created under same "Toolbar Setup". It sounds like you are creating multiple "Toolbar Setups", with only one toolbar inside. It would better to use the Toolbar Wizard multiple times under the same Toolbar Setup, instead of "New > Toolbar Setup" to create the toolbars.

Hope this clears things up!

Mike Sanders
Donor

Logan -

Thanks for such a quick reply - fantastic service!! I think you have hit the nail on the head - that is exactly what I have been doing. Now.....the question is - how can I "convert" the toolbar setups that I have done to "multiple" toolbar settings without starting from scratch again?

......and, will this solve the 'deleting of toolbars' problem??.... because at the moment all the "delete toolbar" options are greyed out (both on the Toolbar Setup screen and the wizard).

Once again - thanks for your help and I hope your response to these questions will set me on the right road for some time.

Mike[/b]
Logan Mueller
Support

Glad to help! Unfortunately, there is no way to convert/merge a "Toolbar Setup" into another. I really like that idea though. For now, you can copy/paste all the toolbar items from one Toolbar Setup into the other. As for the "Options", you can save the options to a "Preset", and load them into your merged Toolbar Setup. (Right-click Options, select "Save Preset...", then "Apply Preset" using the corresponding name)

If the "Delete Toolbar" option is disabled, then that is because there is only one toolbar in that Toolbar Setup. (The app will not let you delete the last toolbar)

Since the Toolbar Setups are saved to files, there was never a mechanism added to delete them. So your initial assumption is correct: to delete a Toolbar Setup, simply delete its corresponding file in the Toolbar folder. Smile

Mike Sanders
Donor

Good evening, Logan - I think we are nearly there! (I only hope that this thread is of help to others new to Gizmo......)

I have now done all that you have said ..... everything seems to work fine now except: (a) I have now got the Toolbar Setup showing the 8 toolbars under my Toolbar Setup name SET1. (b) On the tabs at the top of the Toolbar Setup Page, all 8 tabs are shown - however, some of the tabs are prefixed with 1 in a grey square to the left of the tab title, some are prefixed with 2 in a grey square to the left of the tab title. Why should this be so? All 8 toolbars are being shown under the Toolbar Setup on the Start Menu.

I also have a problem in that two of the 8 toolbars cannot be shown on the screen at the same time - both seem to be sensitive to mouse movements despite the fact that on the toolbar setups are shown as "Show toolbar as mouse approaches" and unchecked against "Hide toolbar as mouse leaves". The moment one toolbar appears on the screen the other one decides to disappear... The other six toolbars remain static and do do disappear from the screen.

The prefix numbering (1 and 2 - discussed above) does not indicate the toolbars which are "playing up" - any ideas what may be going wrong?

Once again - thanks for any advice and guidance: I am determined to crack this!

Regards Mike
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Mike,

I do appreciate your patience and persistence in the matter. I am sure others will certainly benefit from this! The grey square, appearing left to the tab title, is actually a miniature representation of the toolbar's placement. Inisde this grey area is a darker shape (square or circle) which illustrates the position of the toolbar with respect to the monitor. The number inside this grey area is the monitor number. If there is more than one monitor, the "2" would represent the secondary monitor, whereas "1" would be primary.

I'm not sure if this is clear, but each tab will display its own set of options, allowing every toolbar to be configured differently. I believe the two toolbars, which are "playing up", probably have the "Show toolbar as mouse approaches" setting enabled, whereas the other toolbars do not. (?) Could it be possible that you were looking at the options for another toolbar?

Mike Sanders
Donor

Hi Logan - I should be thanking you for your patience!! Now I understand the meaning of the numbered and marked grey tab to the left of the toolbar name....... great, another plus for Gizmo!

The problem of moving toolbars is not resolved. I have 8 toolbars all with the same pre-sets for the Options. [The problem occurs whether "Show toolbar when mouse approaches" is checked or not] - 6 of the toolbars sit there quite happily, being displayed all the time.

Regarding the 7th and 8th [which incidentally were the last two to be installed using the Wizard] - bring the mouse to the area of No. 7 and the toolbar appears and sits there when the mouse is moved away. Take the mouse to the area of No. 8 and No. 8 appears but No. 7 disappears. No. 8 sits there until the mouse is moved to the area of No. 7 at which time No. 7 appears and No. 8 disappears!

As I say, all options are the same for all 8 toolbars and the problem occurs whether the "...mouse approaches" and "....mouse leaves" boxes are checked or not. Any further ideas?

On another matter when the target on a toolbar is a URL, I seem to get the message {"Windows cannot find www [URL]. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button and then click Search"} However, the correct website is actually connected to and all is OK. The Shadow Console says "Unable to run - File not found". Is this a program bug or (again) is it me doing something wrong. Gizmo works OK, but it is annoying to have the message displayed, even if only for a second or two.

Finally - a simple thing; I cannot find a way to switch between Toolbar Setups!

Thanks, Logan ---- just wait till I start exploring beyond "Toolbars"!!

Mike
Simultaneous toolbars
Mike Sanders
Donor

Hi Logan - I have just had occasion to go to my Task Manager and noted that
six files called SET1 are running - surely there should be 8 files? Does this give any clue as to why the other 2 files are "misbehaving"? Remember SET1 is what I have called this Toolbar Setup.

Mike
Logan Mueller
Support

As I say, all options are the same for all 8 toolbars and the problem occurs whether the "...mouse approaches" and "....mouse leaves" boxes are checked or not. Any further ideas?

Yeah that doesn't sound like normal behavior at all. Can you create a "dummy" Toolbar Setup with 8 toolbars, all using the default settings, no buttons, just to see if it gives you the same results?

On another matter when the target on a toolbar is a URL, I seem to get the message {"Windows cannot find www [URL]. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button and then click Search"}

This sounds like a problem with the Windows Shell, specifically the association for general URL's. I've seen this happen to a computer when a program changes the default association for a general URL (e.g. Firefox) and another programs amends the association with its own launching mechanism, albeit damaging it in the process. I noticed in the error message you quoted that the protocol identifier was missing. Perhaps you want to try prefixing the URL with http:// to eliminate any ambiguity with the Windows Shell. (It sounds like more than one application is associated with general URL's, but perhaps your http URL association is OK) Otherwise, you will probably have to go into the file associations and repair them. I'm sure there is something on the Internet that explains how to do this. If you are using a browser like Firefox, then I believe it has a function somewhere to set the associations.

Finally - a simple thing; I cannot find a way to switch between Toolbar Setups

You can actually switch Toolbar Setups by right-clicking on the life preserver, and selecting the Toolbar Setup from the top of the context menu.

just wait till I start exploring beyond "Toolbars"!!

LOL, looking forward to it!

I have just had occasion to go to my Task Manager and noted that
six files called SET1 are running - surely there should be 8 files? Does this give any clue as to why the other 2 files are "misbehaving"?

The Windows task manager can be deceiving. (Especially in earlier version of Windows) For instance, the tab that displays the currently "running" applications should be taken with a grain of salt, since each item on this list is not actually a "running" application. More so, they are "visible top level windows". If you see six items named SET1, then what the Task Manager is actually trying to tell you is that there are six top-level windows that are visible, named SET1. If the toolbars/windows become hidden, these items will no longer appear inside the Task Manager. (And in Vista, they should never show up)

Please let me know the outcome on your 'test'. I am going to try to reproduce the problem on my home computer tonight.

Mike Sanders
Donor

Hi Logan –

First, I have suffered one of the glitches of Windows - the lifebuoy did not appear in my Systems Tray – apparently Windows has a bug whereby not all icons are always displayed in the Systems Tray. So, I was unable to easily check out the system by right hand clicking on the icon.

However, I now have the icon in the Systems Tray and I think I’ve cracked why the two toolbars are giving rogue performance. My statement that all toolbars had the same options was, in fact untrue. The last two toolbars had the “Hide toolbar when losing input focus” ticked, whereas the others did not. When completing the options I was not sure what was meant by “toolbar to be hidden whenever another application or window gains input focus”. Can you explain why this box should have the effect it has on the two toolbars.

Checking my Task Manager, I now have 8 toolbars being shown as running. Fantastico!!!!

Regarding the error message – I use both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Following your comments, I have tried a toolbar which has a URL as a target, and I find that the message is only shown when using Internet Explorer; if I use Firefox, the toolbar connects directly with the URL without showing the message. So, it’s a browser problem; nothing to do with Gizmo directly.

So – thanks for your help; I seem to be up and running (until the next problem). I very much appreciate the service you have given me.

Till next time……

Mike
Simultaneous Toolbars