Reply to topic

multiple Carousel Toolbars
Steven Young

I was working on setting up two or three Carousel Toolbars for my system (Windows XP SP2). One Toolbar would be using the SKY Theme and docked bottom-left. The second Toolbar would be using the Radiant Theme and docked bottom-right. The third would use a different theme from the other two and docked top-left (or wherever). Rolling Eyes
The hard part is setting this up to work. I know we cannot yet have all three Toolbars available at the same time; we have to right-click the tray icon or within the Carousel Toolbar to change to another Toolbar. That part works. Confused
What I cannot get to work is getting the different Toolbars to use different Option settings (for themes, variations and placement). Crying or Very sad
I also cannot get the Toolbar Subscriptions or Toolbar Catalogs to work correctly. I was even creating different directories for each Toolbar. Crying or Very sad
Could you PLEASE give us a step-by-step tutorial to setup multiple Toolbars with individual settings unique to each toolbar? Question
That would be truly helpful!!
Thank you! Very Happy
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Steven,

There is some good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news. Smile The current version is not designed to store Toolbar Settings with the toolbar. I realize how silly that may seem, but early versions did not allow more than one toolbar. So your findings are accurate-- each toolbar uses the same settings for theme, placement, etc., in the current version.

The good news is that we are currently addressing the limitation. As part of the ability to have multiple toolbars on the screen, the next version will have the Toolbar Settings saved with each toolbar. The options for the Toolbar will no longer be shown on the System Options screen, but they will be under the 'Advanced' section on the Toolbar screen. If you can bear with us for another week or two, we would be interested in hearing how this functionality works for you!

Regarding the problem with the Toolbar Subscriptions. Have you tried restarting Gizmo, or doing a 'Refresh' after the files have been placed?

Steven Young

Logan, Thank you so much, for your immediate address to remedy this issue and to enhance Gizmo with this feature, almost immediately! Awesome! Gizmo is an an awesome product and you are an awesome programmer! Thank you!
And yes, I had refreshed and restarted Gizmo, when trying to work with the Toolbar Subscriptions. I am a bit confused as to how the subscriptions work; other than allowing you to show more than one toolbar, currently where all toolbars share the same settings but not the same runners.
To know that the Toolbar settings will be linked to each toolbar is fantastic. It would be great if we had a more comprehensive User Manual that would specify the procedures and options to customize and tweak Gizmo more clearly. Shocked (I would be willing to help to create it but I don't know Gizmo and its programming the way you do! Laughing But if there is anything I could do to help, I would. You can contact me, if there is a way I could help you and the other appreciative users and potential users out there.) This is a terrific user interface for Windows that even Vista can't match. Great work! Cool
multiple Carousel Toolbars
Steven Young

Logan, is there a way that you could give us a hotkey capability to switch between Toolbars (like the Windows Alt-Tab function to quickly switch between open windows)? That would be great! Exclamation Very Happy Idea
Logan Mueller
Support

Thanks for the nice words! I can't take much credit for the "immediate" response though. The work coincidentally began last weekend. Smile That evens out nicely though, and I totally agree, some step-by-step instructions are badly needed to illustrate the toolbars in more detail. Probably after the next release, we'll focus on improving the documentation or writing an article on that.

If you have any ideas on how to make the program easier to use, by all means, my ears are open! In the future, I'd like to make it possible for people to post their own articles on the support site, so that anyone can share their creativity or 'wisdom', if they really wanted to. I'm not sure how many people would actually use it though. Laughing

About the hotkeys-- the new version will let you assign a hotkey to each toolbar. The middle mouse button will also spawn whichever toolbar is closest to the mouse cursor, unless the option is disabled for that toolbar. But your idea of using a single hotkey to rotate between each toolbar-- clever. I don't think that will make it in the next release, although probably soon thereafter. Which hotkey do you think should be used? Ctrl-Tab, Alt-Tab, Win-Tab, even Ctrl-Alt-Tab are taken. How about Alt-~ ?

Just to fill you in a bit about the Toolbar Subscriptions-- you probably don't need them, in your case, unless you plan to share your toolbars with other people over an internal network. If you just want to create three toolbars, and switch between them, then simply save or copy those toolbar files (*.gizmo) to your My Documents > Gizmo > Toolbars folder. Then restart Gizmo, or click 'Refresh' and they should appear on the context menu!

Steven Young

Woe!...Shocked So, you're saying that the Toolbar Subscriptions would allow me to place the toolbars in a common location for multiple computers to access? Cool! I'd like to understand how to set that up; I have at least 2 PCs that I would like to use my common toolbars. Especially, when I change something with one, I'd like it to be uniform for the other PC as well. Nice!
I think Ctrl-Tab would work great for the switch. I like the idea that the middle-click of the mouse would bring up the toolbar that is closest to the mouse... that's really good! Thanks! That will work great until the Ctrl-Tab is available! Very Happy
Once again, awesome! Wink Very Happy
Logan Mueller
Support

No problem! The concept behind Toolbar Subscriptions is quite simple actually, once you know how it works. To get started-- create a network share on one of your PCs. Add the UNC path to the network share on the Toolbar Subscriptions dialog. Do this for each copy of Gizmo. This will tell Gizmo where to look for the shared toolbar files (*.gizmo) Now save some toolbar files into this directory. After Gizmo is refreshed, the toolbars will be listed on the context menu for shared use!

You can use the Embedded Toolbars feature to accomplish the same thing. Come to think of it, using an Embedded Toolbar is a bit better actually, since a portion of your toolbar can be made up of buttons on your local machine (unshared) while the rest of the toolbar can be made up of buttons pulled down from a shared toolbar on a network drive. They get merged together as one seamless toolbar. The Embedded Toolbar feature is available as a 'button'. So essentially, you can add an Embedded Toolbar 'button' to your local toolbar, and have it point to the shared toolbar on the network.

If only I got $1 for every time I said 'toolbar' Smile

Steven Young

Wow...$15.00! That is something to seriously consider, for sure.
Wow. Toolbar Subscriptions and Embedded Toolbars... thank you, for explaining some interesting ways to utilize them. Awesome! Thank you, for making such a flexible and extremely user-friendly gateway to make any user's PC really comfortable to use. Wink
Now, with an Embedded or Subscription Toolbar that is shared, are the Runner's pointing to a single, common item or would let's say, a Runner for Adobe Acrobat on the Embedded or Subscription Toolbar set to point to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat.exe" point to the local Adobe Acrobat on any PC that selects that Runner on the Embedded or Subscription Toolbar? Confused Smile
Logan Mueller
Support

LOL, yeah the shared toolbars can be tricky in that sense. Runners will always point to the same object. C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat.exe regardless if they come from a shared toolbar or not.

If you set your applications up in such a way that they are located in the same path, obviously there is no issue. But otherwise, here are some solutions for that:

1. Tack in an environment variable inside that path. e.g. %ProgFiles%\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat.exe and then define them accordingly on each PC. All system variables are supported too, e.g. %AppData%, etc.

2. Create a common object on each PC, e.g. batch file, which will be in the same path on each PC, and then have it point to the necessary path for that PC

3. Some apps will associate themselves to GUID. In this case, you can use the GUID instead of the file path. But usually the GUIDs vary between each version of the application, and so you sort of have the same problem if one PC has Adobe Acrobat 8, but the other PC has version 7.

4. Split the toolbars up, then have the 'specialized' runners on the local portion of the toolbar (using Embedded Toolbar) This kinda defeats the purpose of sharing, though, it's a last resort!

Steven Young

I figured that is how it works so; as long as the programs are set up the same way on each PC, the Runners will work complimentary for each PC. That's good. And as long as the versions of the programs are the same and the relative paths are the same, the environment variables will ensure that the Runner points to the correct program path for each PC. Wink

So, is there a way that I could set up a Subscription or Embedded Toolbar that could activate a program on the "other" computer than the one activating the Runner? What I mean is... can PC1 click on a Runner of the Subscription or Embedded Toolbar that activates a program on PC2 AND... can PC2 click on a Runner of the Subscription or Embedded Toolbar that activates a program on PC1 AND... when PC1 clicks on that same Runner, could it activate that same program on PC1, like when PC2 does it?
Somehow, that seems unnecessary, after trying to describe all of that. LOL Rolling Eyes But it would be interesting to figure out if that is possible.

I use at least 2 PCs to do the work that I do and it would be nice to split tasks between the PCs in a more intuitive way, by using Gizmo as the common toolbar for activating programs for the PCs; it would be like having a seamless interaction of using several PCs as if they are one. I do that now yet, it is not quite as seamless and for simplicity, I sometimes just use most of the programs from one PC more than the others; I would like to share the workload across the PCs more evenly and I believe Gizmo can make that happen. Cool

I can see having one Subscription or Embedded Gizmo Toolbar that will activate programs on any connected PC as if it were one. Now, that would be awesome! Cool Wink
Logan Mueller
Support

That feature used to be part of the Gizmo Script plug-in, but it was removed for security reasons. Sad Well, sort of. It allowed you to run a script across two PCs, and thus launch applications.

Maybe it's time to revisit that though? We just have to find a way to lock it down. Just imagine the possibilities it would enable for a hacker, if it were to be somehow exploited. Shocked FORMAT C:\ | Y

Yeah.... that wouldn't be too nice, if that happened.
But... it really would be nice if that could be done, again... of course, this time, in a more secure way. I hope it would be possible to do it in a more secure way; that would be great, as far as how convenient it would be. Keep me posted on that one, if you figure out a way to do it.
Rolling Eyes
Logan Mueller
Support

There were never any exploits discovered actually. We just took the 'paranoid' approach and removed it altogether, since hackers have a tendency to target a feature like that!

But hmmmm, Windows comes prepackaged with a firewall nowadays. So if you are only interacting with PCs inside your home network, there wouldn't be much concern at all, actually. Unless, of course, you started launching programs on your work computer from home. Smile

I liked the way you described the idea better, because your description of the concept seemed more integrated with the toolbar. A seamless approach, without using Gizmo Script. Which would probably work a lot better! I'll be sure to follow up here if it ever happens!

Steven Young

Yes, that's how I would see it, as a means of controlling PCs within the internal network and NOT to a remote PC via the Internet.
I also thought Windows Firewall would help with the restrictions, for the most part.
So, you're saying, you could throw this feature back in? Laughing Laughing Laughing Wink
That would really be terrific. That is a feature I would really use! Cool
Logan Mueller
Support

Yeah! Let me make sure we're on the same page though. Smile You'd like to have it so an application is loaded on PC-2 when you click a button on PC-1. Is that correct?

So, when the application is loaded on PC-2, it keeps running on PC-2, even though it was launched from PC-1. I just want to make sure you're not expecting the application to 'appear' on PC-1, since it is actually running on PC-2. Smile

Since in that case, you're better off using MSTSC, which comes free with the Windows OS already. But if you're looking for a means to launch applications on one PC from another, then we should be able to get that feature back in pretty quickly, although probably not in the next release. Confused