Reply to topic

Logan Mueller
Support

Gizmo would not rely on the .NET framework actually, since it is native C++. The only system dependencies needed is the Visual C++ runtime from Windows98 and up. Thankfully the version of runtime used is not a side-by-side assembly, and so Windows Update would probably not update it, unless it had a major security flaw.

So the only framework that's truly depended on is the own internal middleware (the DLL files in the Gizmo directory) and the Win32 API. At this point I'm at a loss for suggestions, though. If you do find the cause of the problem, please keep us posted!

Martin Davies

Hi - I've experienced the same problem. Clean install 2.5.4. Click shortcut - nothing happens. Tried all solutions without success but found workaround; using Windows XP Home SP2. Can force Gizmo to start as follows:

1. right click Gizmo shortcut
2. choose 'Run As'
3. explicitly select Username and enter Password for own account.

[you may need to choose 'advanced' properties first to enable the option of running with different credentials]

then program starts. Temporary workaround only. Can't find anyway of making fix work permantly. Seems to something to do with the credentials set for the application. Checked registry but can't find anything obvious. Is this something to do with how the Gizmo install package has been built? Alternatively something subtle to do with the different security featers for the various versions of XP/Vista?

Would be good to find a complete fix.

Great product - many thanks!
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Martin,

Thank you for posting this. I'm really concerned now that other people are experiencing the problem. We are trying hard to repro it on our XP machines. Sadly we haven't succeeded in doing so yet, but we will be sure to use this good info here to help us out, and will follow up here with any progress.

Thanks!

Patti Janeski

I took a page from another poster and used Dependency Walker. Sure enough, two dlls were missing. Further investigation said that IE7 was the problem. I uninstalled IE7 and PRESTO now I can use Gizmo on my Dell laptop !! Gizmo works great on my desktop and now I can use the sync function.

the dll's missing were EFSADU and DWMAPI (as reported by Dependency Walker. Uninstalling IE7 is all I have done to try to repair the problem today. Before today, I've uninstalled, cleaned the registry etc etc . . .

THanks for the information on Dependency Walker - it did the trick!

Patti
Martin Davies

[ahhh Crying or Very sad just lost long message typed here in forum so this version truncated] Tried clean install 2.5.5. Still won't start without explicitly entering account username/password at run time. Tried dependency walker. Shows same missing dlls referred above. Tried replacing missing dlls but still won't run. Dependency walker shows further problems. Seems like some interaction with ie7. Can't remove ie7 - need to user this. Message here http://ureader.com/msg/14751177.aspx seems to indicate no solution other than to remove ie7. Looks like some strange interaction between Gizmo and IE7. Hope this info helps towards fix.
Logan Mueller
Support

I'd like to look into this in greater detail, but from what I've learned so far, the problem does not actually occur on all XP machines with IE7 -- it seems to happen only on certain ones. I haven't been able to reproduce this on any of my computers, unfortunately. But it also sounds like there are other applications that are failing to run on the affected PCs, which leads me to believe that the problem is not specific to Gizmo. Sad

Martin Davies

Ok - understood. Yes, I've tried on other pcs and everything works ok. Checked 'problem' pc carefully but not found any other faults - all other apps work ok. Indications possibly something to do with elevated security / credential requirements associated with .Net framework or XP SP2.

Noted that Gizmo install doesn't run to full completion on 'problem' pc; on 'working' pc install runs with further messages to then launch Gizmo.

Have found workaround. Using utility 'SteelRunAs' (www.steelsonic.com) it is possible to create a shortcut/executable that successfully launches Gizmo with username/password credentials. This then allows Gizmo to be included as part of the 'StartUp' in whichever user accounts wish to use Gizmo. Smile
Logan Mueller
Support

Thank you for posting this solution, Martin.

I wanted to note, though, that Gizmo does not use .NET. It does use MSHTML, for displaying the documentation and the Start Page, which is how that IE dependency comes in. I'm sure if another app was run on this computer -- one which used MSHTML and MFC42 -- it would likely have the same behavior This is my hunch, based on some of the other discussions taking place. Your work-around is excellent, though, since it allows people to use IE7 and Gizmo on a computer with this dependency problem. Thanks for taking the time to post this.