Reply to topic

Worked previously, now won't start at all!
Brian Cole

On my work computer, XP pro, latest updates, I had installed 2037, updated a couple times, worked fine. Then one day with no explanation, it won't run at all. Looking at task manager while starting the program doesn't show it alive long enough to register. How can I troubleshoot this and get it working? My machine at home with almost identical setup has gizmo working flawlessly.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Brian,

It sounds like something got fouled up during the update. Have you tried downloading the installer from this web site and installing it over your current version? If not, please give that a shot.

Yes, I tried with the 252 setup. Same operation (none!) I tried installing on an XP pro VM on this same machine and it works fine.
Logan Mueller
Support

Do you remember if any of the settings were changed, before this started happening? Were any new buttons added to the toolbar? Any buttons reconfigured to "Run at Startup"?

Try clearing out the registry settings for Gizmo, to start fresh. If you're using virtual machines, I bet you're Windows-savvy enough to do it: Smile

Delete these two branches in the windows registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Arainia\Gizmo
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Arainia\Gizmo

If that doesn't solve the problem, then maybe it's something fishy in the toolbar file(s). The toolbars are in My Documents > Gizmo > Toolbars. You may just want to try moving them out of that folder, temporarily, just to see if it fixes the problem.

I tried your suggestions. They didn't seem to make any difference. I even tried reinstalling after "cleaning up", and still no difference. Man, do I love how hard Microsoft makes troubleshooting!
Logan Mueller
Support

You're not seeing any error messages when you double-click on the shortcut? I wonder if the program is loading properly. Try running the program directly by browsing to the Gizmo program folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\Gizmo) then double-clicking on "gizmo.exe"

You may also want to make sure you have the core files:

gizmo.exe
gdirector.exe
gmanager.dll
gvillage.dll
grender.dll
gimage.dll
ghook.dll
ggui.dll

If you see any files with a *.gizmo extension, they should be moved to the toolbar folder I mentioned earlier. My Documents > Gizmo > Toolbars

I even went so far as to try starting it from the command line. Still nothing. That is the wierdest part! No exception, no error, no application! I did verify that all of the core files are there.
Logan Mueller
Support

Can you download v2.5.4 and try it on the PC which fails to run Gizmo?

Please go back into the command prompt -- back to the Gizmo program files directory -- and run "gizmo.exe" with a "/Trace" command-line option. Gizmo will generate a log file that gets saved to My Documents > Gizmo > Logs > trace.log

Check to see if that log file is actually created. If so, at least that tells us Gizmo is running. If you could post the contents of that log file here, that would be greatly appreciated!

No file or directory was ever created. Running filemon shows that something is happening, but not for very long.
One thing that is interesting is that the shell extension isn't being registered either. I double checked by calling regsvr32 on gshell.dll, and it still wasn't registered.
At this point, I think that the machine is a lost cause for gizmo. As it is a work computer, I can't just blow it away and rebuild. I still use the program at home and think that it is a wonderful program, but my work machine is in a bad state!
Logan Mueller
Support

No file, hmmm. When you run regsvr32 on gshell.dll, does it give you an error message right away, or is it reporting success even though the entries are missing from the registry?

You should at least see: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{AF859436-B9BD-4154-B594-2B8D1F4295A6}

I'm pretty sure gizmo.exe does not require gshell.dll to be registered actually, but if you get an error message from regsvr32, I bet that's an indication that the permissions (or group policies) were changed on your work account. Did you recently switch domains on your network, or switch between user accounts? Is the user account part of the Administrators group on that local machine?

When I ran regsvr32, it said that it succeeded. The entry that you mention is in my registry. I just double checked and my network account is part of the local machine administrator group.

My first thought was that some rogue MS fix hosed it, but I have a VM at the same fix level and gizmo works fine in the VM. The only difference is that the VM is not set up with a domain. It is a pure local user setup.
Logan Mueller
Support

Do you know if any updates were applied by Windows Update between the time Gizmo worked and the time it stopped working?

If you're still up for fixing this, can you run Dependency Walker on gizmo.exe, just to see if it throws any red flags. If trace.log is not getting created, maybe there is something odd with the linking on that machine. If you don't have Dependency Walker, you can actually download it here.

My other suggestion would be to uninstall Gizmo through Add/Remove programs, then re-install it to a new location, e.g. "C:\Program Files\Gizmo New" instead of the defacto "C:\Program Files\Gizmo" just so that the registry entries are fully updated.

Finally, the only other thing that I can think of, that would interfere with loading an executable, would be of course a virus scanner. Surely your company is running some sort of on-demand virus scanner (whereas the VM is not) If the virus scanner has a UI or log file, maybe you want to see if it's reporting anything there!

Dependency viewer shows no problems. If I use silurian's inspectexe (free version available, http://www.silurian.com) and test load gizmo (right click - properties on gizmo.exe, go to imports tab, click test load button ) it complains that it can't find ggui.dll. I copied the dll to a directory in the path, which cleared up the complaint of "not found", but it still didn't allow gizmo to come up.

I will try installing it to a different directory, but I'm not holding out too much hope. The fact that it runs on so many other of my machines makes me think that there is just something microsofted on my work computer.
Logan Mueller
Support

How odd that you would have to copy ggui.dll to your path in order for Inpsectexe to pass the load test. Try copying all the g*.dll files to your path, or just add the Gizmo program files directory to the path, reboot, and see if that yields anymore clues for you.

I had the same idea and tried it already. Nada. I tried hitting the virus checker in as many places as I could too, and that didn't seem to make a difference either. It is a software conflict, but I wish I could find what and where. It isn't a .NET problem, because I am able to run a .NET app that I wrote (1.1 if that makes a diff.)
Worked previously, now won't start at all!