Reply to topic

Cannot boot from virtual drive in VMware
Gordon Terrell

I run a mix of VMware Server and ESX and I am unable to boot a VM from a virtual ISO mounted through Gizmo on my local workstation and then allocated to the VM through the VMware console. If I do not set the mounting option to Legacy mode in the VMware console then I am completely unable to access the virtual drive, even after the VM's OS boots. I have no problems doing this with Daemon Tools. Any ideas?
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Gordon,

I'm guessing VMWare uses some of the SCSI IOCTLs whenever Legacy emulation is disabled. Unfortunately, those have not been implemented in Gizmo's driver since they haven't been necessary up to this point. Some CDB descriptors are rather long winded, and it would be useless to implement them all. It could be worth sniffing out the ones that are necessary, and adding them as time permits.

If VMWare is being used, then there should be an option to create a CD/DVD drive in the client OS without using Gizmo. Unless the ESX setup is not permitting it (?) VMWare console actually provides its own ISO emulation directly, if I remember correctly.

There is probably an IOCTL that could be implemented to solve the booting problem as well. I'll follow up in this thread with any progress.

You can mount an ISO directly through the VMware console, I would just rather be able to do everything from my workstation. Basically I am looking for a program to replace Daemon Tools. I like Gizmo Drive because it has the ability to mount as well as create ISO's and I don't need all the emulation options that Daemon provides.
Cannot boot from virtual drive in VMware