Reply to topic

Mounting crazyness!
Keith Jarrell
Donor

Ok, I'm completely baffled by this. I have a wireless network with my main PC and laptop connected. On the main PC I have a USB external drive that I keep files on to share.

I have some educational video files that I wanted to be able to access from either computer. First, I had downloaded and insatlled a freeware program called ISO Recorder to create ISO files out of my DVD's and CD's.

I then wanted to use Gizmo to mount the files and watch the videos from either computer without using the CD/DVD's. The wierd thing is that some images would mount and open and others would mount, but when opened, all I got was a Windows error about a corrupted drive or media.

But, the same files mounted and ran fine using Alcohol 120%. I should mention that the laptop and main PC with Gizmo are running Vista and the laptop using Alcohol 120% is running XP.

So, to test the integrity of the ISO files, I used ISO Recorder to burn the ISO back to a CD/DVD. By doing so, I figured it wouldn't work if the ISO file actually was corrupt.

Here is the crazy part. The burn worked fine and when I inserted the CD/DVD back to play the video, it worked fine. So, I went back in Gizmo to mount the same files that wouldn't mount before. Now they work fine in Gizmo!

Is there any reason the image wouldn't mount at first, and then after burning to CD/DVD and played from that media, Gizmo virtual drives start working fine?
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Keith,

Are you using the latest version? It sounds like you are mounting a DVD-ROM ISO with an older version of Gizmo. I'm not sure why inserting the actual disc causes the image to be mounted properly. That does sound strange.

If the problem occurs again, can you check to make sure it happens with CD-ROM images as well, or if it occurs with DVD-ROM images only. Also try to see if there is any correlation with the size of the ISO image (e.g. smaller files working, whereas larger files do not)

Donor

Thanks! I will pay more attention next time, but those are things I thought about.

As for DVD or CD, I created the ISO's using ISO Recorder. The thing I liked about that program is that you can create ISO's straight from your hard drive and not just from a CD or DVD. In my case, I just right clicked on the folder and selected create ISO. The point is, they didn't come from DVD or CD media.

As for the file size, I was thinking I was on to something because it seemed to happen with file sized larger than 2 gigs. But, then there was one ISO that only contained 4 MOV files. The ISO was only 300 megs and I got the corrupted message.

I have a funny feeling if I reboot my computer and try and mount them again I'll get the error message. I'll try tha and let you know.
Keith Jarrell
Donor

It was as I suspected. After reboot I got the corrupted drive message. After I put the burned CD from the iso image in, got the auto play message then closed the application; I was able to mount succesfully. Also if I rebotted the machine with the CD in the drive I was able to mount succsefully.
Logan Mueller
Support

I'll take a closer look over the weekend and try out this utility you are using. Hopefully I will be able to reproduce the problem here. I do appreciate you posting this information.

Support

This eventually cropped up on one of the Vista machines. What a strange problem. Smile The latest version is supposed to fix it though. Please let me know if it still happens after installing this version.

Donor

Excellent again! It seem to be working perfect now.
Logan Mueller
Support

Fantastic, thanks for tracking that problem down!