Reply to topic

Feature Suggestion
Tasos Koliopoulos

Well it's my first post, so i beg for your patience...

I would like to suggest some possible features

1. I tried to add a deployment agent on a tool bar startup, so that i could make changes on desktops through a gizmo server. I was wondering if there was a way to make the clients "listen" for the server, and the server to deploy the software, instead of the server waiting for requests from the clients. It would help greatly in a mass deployment.

2. Following no 1 I was wondering if there was a way to start the deployment agent on the clients, without confirmation..

3. (This is a difficult one) It would be nice if there was an option or a script that would allow for a "main tool bar" to call "child tool bars". For example: You have two categories of programs that you run.
A) Office
B) Development
Then you could have a main tool bar that contained the two categories and clicking on them would hide the main and show the chosen child. Then each child would have a back button to return to the main.

-----
Well thats it for now. I realize reading other threads, that many of the above are quite difficult to implement for now. So i put them here as suggestions with no expectations. Gizmo as is, is a great program.

Thanks.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Tasos,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Unfortunately, the client is required to initiate the connection to the server. There used to be a way to 'trigger' each client to do that, from the server, but this functionality was removed (temporarily) due to security reasons. It is being reimplemented in a more secure fashion, but in the meantime, you could use Gizmo Script to instruct each client to check the server every so often, but it's not very efficient because it downloads the entire 'package' each time.

Gizmo Script has the Sync.GetPackage() function, and it pulls down an entire package from the server without interaction with the UI.

If you prefer not to use Gizmo Script, you can also create a Scheduled Task in Windows, on each client, which invokes gizmo.exe using the /Sync command-line parameter, e.g.

gizmo.exe /Sync:"servername|serverport|packagename"

(This is a difficult one) It would be nice if there was an option or a script that would allow for a "main tool bar" to call "child tool bars". For example: You have two categories of programs that you run.

It used to be that 'Groups' could be displayed as a child/pop-up toolbar (right now they display as pop-up menus) but I really like the idea of switching contexts with a 'Back' button. I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I really look forward to see the future of this project. It looks more than promising.
Logan Mueller
Support

Thanks for the suggestions. If you have any more good ideas, please don't hesitate to post them here!