Reply to topic

MULTIPLE Path Synchronization Required
Israel Baumel

I wanted to have more then a single directory synchronized under the same "whatever", couldn't.

On Path Sync, only 1 path can be synced.
On Scripting, don't know how to start multiple Path Syncs by name
On Projects, don't know how to start multiple Path Syncs by name
Tried Synchronization Server (hoping to be able to sync within the same machine disks), no good, it only identifies FILES and NOT FOLDERS.

I guess the simplest would be to support grouping Path Synchronization tasks into a "Super Task" or whatever and be able to run it.

Also, if these sync tasks can later be accessed within a script, they can be setup to execute at predetermined times.

Thanks a lot for what a product that looks great (so far).

Israel Baumel
ibaumel@hotmail.com
Logan Mueller
Support

Do you mean:

Path 1 - - \
Path 2 - - --- > Path "Whatever"
Path 3 - - /

Or:

Path 1 -- --- > Path "Whatever" 1
Path 2 -- --- > Path "Whatever" 2
Path 3 -- --- > Path "Whatever" 3

You mentioned "Super Task", and so it sounds like you want the second example. In which case, you are correct, the current version of Gizmo requires that you to make a 'button' for each set of paths that is synchronized.

You can grab the GUID for each button, and run them all at once through Gizmo Script. You can also run them all from the command-line. There is specific information on how to do this at this link: here

Hi Logan,
Thanks for fast response.
Indeed, you understand me correctly, it's the 2nd example that I am after.

Now grabbing GUIDs is not user friendly and I would not like to consider it as a valid option. Using button name is better.

Now PROJECTS seems to be a nice way to do it.
It has FILES (so I can drop the multiple SYNC tasks into it)
It has TASKS (so I can enter an EXECUTE files command)

What is PROJECTS anyway?
Any RightClick on any feature gives the same 4 line options. I expected when I right click on TASKS to be able to add a task. How do I add a task?

Also, when you add a file to a project, one assumes you are adding a link to the file, so later, when REMOVE actually removes the file from your system, one is SURPRISED !!!

Overall, this looks very intriguing and I'll continue to write to you.
Thanks,
Israel Baumel
Logan Mueller
Support

Yes, GUIDs are more of a hassle to work with, but they ensure uniqueness, whereas button names have the nasty potential of being named the same.

But OK, perhaps we could use that to our advantage. If Gizmo were to be changed to support executing buttons by their name, you could in fact create several buttons with the same name (e.g. "Foo Button") and then have each of those buttons synchronize the set of paths in your list.

This:

Gizmo.Run ("Foo Button")

Or this:

gizmo /Run:"Foo Button"

...would run all buttons named Foo Button.

You asked about Projects. The Projects tab is used for organizing any set of files compatible with Gizmo. Depending on which plug-ins you have enabled, this list of compatible files will vary. Gizmo Editor gives you the ability to work with HTML files. In this case, Projects becomes a place for you to organize any set of files associated with a web page. But for a C++ project, the Tasks area will let you supply a makefile and commands to compile the code inside the project.

Currently, the Path Synchronization feature is implemented through the toolbar only. Therefore, adding support to Projects cannot be done any time soon. The projects tab is regrettably one of the more neglected areas of Gizmo. Its UI is a little less intuitive than the rest of the app. Confused But it does have some usefulness.

When you remove a file from a project, it should in fact remove only the reference (or "link") It should not delete the file from the hard drive. You may want to double check that? I would be surprised too if it started doing that. Shocked

I'll probably go ahead and have Gizmo updated so that it runs buttons by their name (as well as GUID) Please feel free to keep posting any suggestions here!

OK,
Now that I know how to create a Button Category and know that it can contain a few buttons, we solved the problem.

we need to support:

Gizmo.Run ("Foo Button Category")

Which will execute all the buttons within.

So buttons can remain unique, as they should.

Thanks again,
Easy Baumel
Logan Mueller
Support

It is possible to run a Button Category in the current version with its GUID. It does not work the way you described because Gizmo.Run() and /Run always simulate the action that occurs when the button is clicked.

In the case of Button Category, it displays the sub-items instead of executing them.

An exception could be made for the categories, but for the sake of consistency, and backwards compatibility, let's create special methods for the categories, Gizmo.RunCategory() and /RunCategory

A few notes:

1. The name "Button Category". I have a problem with it. It is actually a MENU or GROUP of buttons, why not call it a MENU or GROUP. I think I prefer GROUP as it is not used in Gizmo for any other purpose (I think).

2. Rather then create a Gizmo.RunCategory() (and then another rGizmo.run.whatever for any whatever you have), how about:

Use Gizmo.RUN(item) to emulate what the Gizmo GUI will do with any item (like displaying the menu).
and
Use Gizmo.EXECUTE(item) to call for EXECUTION of item (and all sub items, by order) as if repeatedly pressed to execute by user.

Not familiar with Script commands and if "execute" is used now, choose your preferred (like PERFORM, DO, CLICK or whatever)
Thanks again,
Easy Baumel
Logan Mueller
Support

(1)

Calling it 'Menu' would be misleading because Button Categories can be shown as pop-up toolbars. 'Group' sounds good, but I think it's too general. The reasoning behind 'Button Category' is that you are creating a category for your buttons. 'Button Group' would work, but that's really no different from 'Button Category'

(2)

The Shell class already has a method called 'Execute', and it's used pretty frequently. Although it's in a separate class, I prefer not reuse that name to avoid confusion.

We should avoid synonyms, too, because this function is doing something entirely different. This method is running the buttons inside the category, instead of running the category itself. Therefore 'RunButtonsInCategory' would ultimately describe what is taking place, but the function name is too long, and Gizmo Script is designed to have short function names. Hence 'RunCategory'.

Thoughts? Smile

Hi Logan,
I am now under the impression that your native language is not English (as mine is not) which may explain some issues I had with understanding your naming conventions (no offense meant of course and if I am wrong, sincere appologies).
I'll be glad to work with you on names and generally the user interface.

Groups for Buttons sounds good and you should probably adopt.

The level of information provided in a method name like "RunButtonsInCategory" is more then required. Being so exact as to spell out "ButtonsIn" would have been necessary if there was another method to "execute" the Group for another purpose, since there isn't, it's not required.
Please remember we don't really need to "describe what is taking place", as there is no end to this. We need to invent a method name that EVERYONE using Gizmo, WITHOUT reading the documentation will know what it does, and for this you need to adhere to common use of words in the English language which effectively carries your GUI.
Just call it "verbGroup(groupname)" where verb will be you choise for the command (execute, perform, click or whatever) and it will always mean, execute all buttons in groupname by order, simple.

If you will instruct me with a proper sequence of reading your documentation to understand what all of Gizmo does, we can probably evaluate the other names used and possibly improve.

Hope this is not more then what you are willing to hear from me.

Thanks
Easy Baumel
Logan Mueller
Support

Well, 'ease of use' is really in the eye of the beholder. If you think something is easy, that doesn't mean the person sitting next to you will.

And the only way to determine "common use of words in the English language" is through survey. If you know what everyone wants, and how everyone thinks, then that is pretty amazing! In fact, large, successful, software companies will hold 'usability studies' to gather this type of information from their users, just so they can write their UI effectively.

In a sense, that is what we're trying to achieve through the message forums. Keep in mind though, each person's opinion counts as 1, including yours. Smile

I generally agree with what you say, but
at the end YOU will have to take decisions that are not necessarily democratic but are making sense to you and are congruent with the overall design you have in your mind.
I am happy with a couple of things in Gizmo, which is why I am trying to use it and will be glad to aid in ironing out any kinks.

What am I happy with, for now?

- Being able to easily start a SYNC and it gives a very good journal of what it did. Great!
- being able to mount an ISO easily, Great!

Thank you,
Easy
Logan Mueller
Support

I'm glad to hear that you are able to use some parts of the program. Smile

We do have plans to make the UI more intuitive-- especially for today's standards, however (1) we are more focused on implementing other features at the moment and (2) Gizmo is very systematic, and so eventually we'd like to come back and revisit the workflow in the entire application. This way the popular functionality will be simpler to use, mainly for users who are not experts. We will first focus on the ISO image mounting, then toolbar management, and so on.

The ability to run multiple buttons (to achieve 'multiple path' synchronization) will likely be in the version released sometime next week.