Reply to topic

Using command line options for automation
John Huber

I love the Path Synchronization feature in Gizmo and would love to use it for some of my less than proficient users. I would like to create a desktop shortcut OR add an item to Windows Task Scheduler for full automation. I found a list of command line options in another post of the forum, but the /Sync:[Package] option listed appears to be for project files and not a "path". Is there a way to start a path sync from the command line? Maybe I just don't understand the /Sync option listed.

Thanks!
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi John,

You're right, the /Sync option is for Deployment Synchronization. There are no command line options for Path Synchronization yet, but it's (sort of) possible to do what you described in the current version.

Once you have a Path Synchronization button, use Gizmo Script to run that button from the command line. Here's how:

1. Get the 'Unique ID' value of the Path Synchronization button - Modify the button, click 'Advanced', then click 'Info'. You'll see the 'Unique ID' value under the Button Information category. Don't attempt to memorize or write it down though. Right-click on that row and select 'Copy Unique ID' to have it copied to the clipboard.

2. Create a new Gizmo Script file which executes the button using its 'Unique ID' - Click New in Gizmo Manager, select Gizmo Script. Then use the Gizmo.Run() method, passing in the Unique ID value which was copied from the previous step.

3. Click 'Save' to save the script to a *.gs file.

4. You can place the *.gs file on a user's desktop. Double-clicking the *.gs file will run the script inside of it, thus running the button. If you rather have a shortcut for cosmetic reasons, create a shortcut to the *.gs file after it has been saved.

5. For Windows Task Scheduler -- same thing. Reference the *.gs file.

Setting this up for several computers can be monotonous. In this case, you may want to share a single toolbar which contains the Path Synchronization button. This assumes that each computer is synchronizing the same paths. Have each computer reference the shared toolbar by adding an Embedded Toolbar button to each user's machine. Then add shortcuts to the *.gs file, which can also be shared on a network drive.

Having a command-line option for Path Synchronization functionality is a great idea though. I'll see about adding this in a future release. It also sounds like you may want to suppress the UI, since you are automating it. Perhaps an option to redirect the status info to the standard output. What are your thoughts on that?

Hi Logan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the workaround using Gizmo Script and it looks like it will work fine with one annoying problem. Unfortunately, when I try to use the right-click option to 'Copy Unique ID', nothing happens. As a matter of fact, a right-click anywhere in the Info window does nothing at all. The system I'm currently using is running Win2K SP4, if that makes any difference. The user PCs I would be trying this on are a mixture of Win2K and WinXP (They are avoiding Vista for the moment).

Your suggestion to suppress the UI and/or redirect the status info is interesting. I think the users would feel more comfortable if they 'see' something happen when they click the shortcut. How about an 'auto close' feature (after a short pause so it doesn't just flash) for the status display if there is a successful completion?

Thanks again for a nice set of interesting utilities.
Logan Mueller
Support

Which version of Gizmo do you have? The right-click-copy feature was added in one of the newer versions. So that could be why it's not showing up.

I do like the 'Auto Close' idea!

Ah!!! I understand what happened now... I had just installed the Sync module the other day and used the update feature to get the latest version. When you suggested the Gizmo Script solution, I ADDED that module which automatically backdated the main Gizmo engine. I just ran the updater and the right-click-copy now works.

Thanks again!
Logan Mueller
Support

I see, yeah, the installer will overwrite a newer version. Embarassed Not so nice in your case, but it's useful for rolling back releases. I'll be sure to have a warning message added to the installer, in addition to the new command line option. I appreciate the info!

Support

The latest version has a new command line option "/Run" which lets you run a button from the command line without Gizmo Script. Pass the unique ID of the button along with the parameter, like so:

gizmo /Run:"{32A951FD-91A7-41bc-BDF7-59CE2FA86EA6}"

There are two new options available for Path Synchronization, too. The first option lets you close the Path Synchronization window after successful completion. (John's idea. Thank you Smile) Second option does the same thing, except it decides whether to close on failure.

Hi Logan,

Sorry I haven't responded before this, but somehow I didn't get a notification of your posting this last time.

THANK YOU for your incredibly fast response! The new /run command works GREAT and gives me the ability to create a normal looking shortcut for some of my more computer challenged users. When combined with the new "auto close" option (Thank you, again), I can easily create a one click button that just works - with no extra steps. The first person I setup to use path synchronization to his network home drive LOVES the feature. Unfortunately, he immediately headed out on the road for an extended trip, so he's only had a chance to use it once.

Thank you again for your wonderful collection of utilities.
Logan Mueller
Support

Synchronizing with the home network drive. Sounds like a nifty setup. Cool

If you run into any other hurdles or have some additional feedback for the Path Synchronization feature, please don't hesitate to follow up here! The synchronization module is regrettably the most neglected feature in Gizmo. Confused

I think the reason why the forum didn't send you an e-mail is because it only sends a message once, after you have posted in the forum. I believe the reasoning behind this is so that you are not flooded with e-mails, if say three messages are posted after your last post.