Reply to topic

Mount image in Vista "EXE path does not exist"
andres ceballos

I'm using Gizmo Village 2.0.41 with my notebook and Windows Vista Home Premium. When i mount an image disc of a program and i try to run the setup file, Windows shows the next message: "G:\setup.exe The specified path does not exist. Check the path and then try again" but if i open par example a pdf file from the same imsge disc, it opens without problems.

What i must to do to fix this problem and run setup files from my image discs?
Logan Mueller
Support

If you mount an image in Gizmo as a regular user, you should get a pop-up window from the Windows Vista UAC, asking you to elevate your privileges. Do you see this happening?

If you decline (e.g. Cancel) the image will not show up to any administrative processes, and this keeps SETUP programs from seeing the mounted volume. This is because all SETUP programs run as 'administrator' in Windows Vista.

Please try the following, if all else fails:
- Unmount the current image (if it is still mounted)
- Close Gizmo by right-clicking on the life preserver and selecting 'Close Gizmo'
- Launch Gizmo as an administrative process by right-clicking on the 'Gizmo Village' shortcut, and selecting 'Run as Administrator' from the context menu
- Now mount the image, and try again

I only suggest doing this as a last resort though, since running Gizmo as an administrative process would technically defeat the purpose of the Windows Vista UAC.

Donor

Logan:

I have the same problem.. I am running Vista Business Edition. I followed the instructions and this fixed the problem. However... like you are saying, I would prefer to run Gizmo as a regular user. If I do this though, Windows gives the error which Andres posted. This happens even if I click Continue on the UAC pop up window. It makes no difference! I can launch all other files on the image (text, PDF, HTML, ....) Everything except EXE. Is there some configuration setting...? Please advise. This is a GREAT program otherwise. Very easy to use.

Nate
Logan Mueller
Support

It sounds like you have an on-demand virus scanner that is trying to scan the file (EXE and COM) but it can't find it because of the Vista UAC.

We are still trying to repro the problem. If you are using a virus scanner, can you let me know which one you are using? Also try turning it off temporarily to see if that will get rid of the error message for you.

Worst case, please use the instructions from my last post to circumvent the error message, for the time being!

Thank you for your recomendation. Now it's working well if i run the program as administrator.
Thank you, it's a great program!!!
Logan Mueller
Support

Good news! This issue has been resolved in v2.5.2 of Gizmo Drive. It is no longer necessary to run Gizmo as Administrator to mount an image file and run executable files such as EXE or COM. Virus scanners will no longer become confused! (This issue was in Windows Vista only)