Reply to topic

Gizmo Hasher issue
Ted Eby

Is there a way to have Gizmo Hasher "hash" an entire diskette, including the unallocated and slack space to get a MD5 for the entire physical disk? When I use Gizmo to verify the MD5 hash generated by another program, it appears that Gizmo is totalling the hash values of the files on the diskette, rather than the entire physical diskette. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ted
Logan Mueller
Support

Unfortunately the current version isn't capable of that. You are correct. Gizmo hashes the contents of the files directly reported by the file system, and when an entire drive is hashed with Gizmo Hasher, it does not hash the raw image of the drive.

What other programs are you comparing your values with, and what type of disks are you hashing? (e.g. CD-ROM, floppies, hard drives) Just curious.

Ted Eby

I am currently working of IACIS certification,which is a law enforcement based forensic organization. I have been using a program called SPADA that will image the entire raw image. I need to find a program that I can use to validate SPADA's hashing capability.

I have been provided a few small tools to verify hashes of files, such as "HASHFILE", but again, it only does the files, not entire image. I discovered your program and love the ease and interface!

Thanks for the advice and anything you can suggest would be appreciated!

Ted
Logan Mueller
Support

There are some utilities that'll let you create an image file of a disk (or disc) Why don't you try this and pass the image file to Gizmo Hasher, to see if it matches with SPADA?

An ISO file of a CD would be a bad example --since it does not include the unused space of the disc -- but an IMG would probably work well, since it's a replica of the disk in its entirety. I came across two apps from doing a quick search on the Internet. 'Undisker' and 'HDCOPY Pro'. You may find some free ones if you look around more than I did. Very Happy