Reply to topic

Only able to mount .vhd files as read-only
Maurice Petrie

If I attempt to mount a .vhd file and do not select the "Mount image as read-only" option I get a dialog box popping up with the following error message:

System based error has occured.
OPEN FILE Access is denied.

I have used a different tool called vhdattach to mount the files and have not had any problems.

Mounting the file as read only with gizmo provides me full access and again no problems.

I don't know if this is relevant but looking at the access control permissions set up on the .vhd file I see the following:

Authenticated Users have modify permissions
SYSTEM has Full control
Administrators have Full control
Users have read and execute only

Any ideas what may be causing the problem

Thanks in advance,

Maurice
Maurice Petrie

Some more information. The .vhd files I am attempting to mount were created following the instructions provided in the following article:

http://www.petri.co.il/virtual_creating_differencing_disks_with.htm

Basically I have created multiple differencing disks all based on one parent disk. I set the parent disk to read only so noone mistakenly modifies it or starts it up in Virtual PC.

In this way I can have one parent .vhd that has all my main software installed and any child .vhds are much smaller.

The reason I can only mount the child .vhds as read only were because the parent .vhd was set to read only.

There is no problem doing this with some of the other software I am using (i.e. vhdattach) but it doesn't have all the capabilities provided by Gizmo.

I also don't have any problem running multiple child .vhds at the same time using virtual PC even if the parent is set to read only.

Once I change the parent to read write I am able to mount one child and then any subsequent mounts fail.

Any ideas on how I might be able to work with these child disks using Gizmo?

Thanks in advance!

Maurice
Only able to mount .vhd files as read-only