Reply to topic

how secure is the encryption in pocket diary version 1.3?
encryption

HI. anyone been able to hack the booklet with it's current encryption..yes i am one of those types that is very paranoid of my personal electronic security. Anyone know about this mm encryption used in pocket diary? is it easily hackable??

--other than that..i love the program.

-Nicole Question
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Nicole,

I received your e-mail. Thanks for posting your question in the forums. I will go ahead and answer it here.

To answer your question blunty, you are safe. Pocket Diary uses a non-standard form of encryption, which has its advantages. One advantage to using a non-standard encryption alogirthm is that the hacker would need to specifically hack both Pocket Diary and your password in order to decrypt the data.

In theory, *anything* can be hacked. So the real challenge in preventing someone from hacking your data is making the task more difficult than it's worth. So at this point, you ask yourself, how important is it for a hacker to spend hours, days, or months of time to decipher one individual's diary?

Even for me--the author of the program--there is no way for me to (currently) decrypt your diary without the password. (Even though I've written the software) Take note, I say "currently". And I only say that in regard to the theory mentioned earlier: anything can be hacked. (Just like some people say, "anything is possible") Though at this point in time, it is unlikely and you are safe.

That's as honest of an answer any person can give on just about any encryption algorithm in use today.

Hope this helps. Kind regards,
Logan

Support

I figured since we're on the topic, I'd go ahead and offer some tips on making the encryption in Pocket Diary more effective. Did you know that you can actually improve the encryption of your diary by simply changing its password?

- The longer the password, the better
- Avoid using passwords that are based off of common words found in the dictionary
- Better yet: go ahead and mix words with letters, upper case and lower case, maybe even symbols, just to confuse hackers or common hacking algorithms

Finally.. don't forget your password! Because I have no way of retrieving it. (Unfortunately, this is a popular request) If you forget your password, your data is basically gone...

nicole

Thank you sooo much for your assurance and prompt answers. Very good support and I have recommended friends to purchase and use pocket diary. I love the GUI and it's layout. Good job on it's features. Cant' wait for the next release! Cool
how secure is the encryption in pocket diary version 1.3?