Reply to topic

Getting started
Jim Hawley

Ok, to start I don't like software that wants to install a bunch of startup procedures without explaining what they are or if they are necessary. I don't need dozens of very infrequently needed processes bogging down my computer. What I want is well behaved software that will load necessary processes when I choose to launch the main program. 99.9% of the time I will not need Gizmo Drive running. I might note that I found gizmo.exe consuming 50-98% of my cpu. Whats that all about?
There are no tutorials or faqs although there are links that are supposed to take you there.
The software is not running as the help file says it does.
Here is what I want to do with Gizmo drive - very basic stuff. I want to create a virtual cd drive and use it as a destination for my "create restore disk" maintenance routine. This is because I have a netbook with no optical drive. I will buy an external eventually but I want to make backup images NOW. I thought I could create them to a "virtual" drive and then copy them over to an external usb hard drive. That way I would have the necessary recovery images saved outside the netbook "just in case".
The help system really doesn't explain whether I can do what I want but it does talk about "creating" Gizmo drives - which sound like it might be what I need to do. Unfortunately, it says that I should open Gizmo Manager, click on "Virtual Devices", and enter appropriate parameters. When I open Gizmo Manager, I don't get "Virtual Devices" in the left hand pane. What I get is "Virtual Drives" and it lists 10 drives. If I click on any of them I am told to identify the FILE to be loaded.
At that point I'm pretty much screwed. I don't have any images to load. I am wanting to create a virtual drive so I can create images.
Whats going on here? Can anybody help? Can I actually do what I want to do? How?
Thanks
Getting started