Reply to topic

System based error has occurred
Gerry DeChaves
Donor

I am using WindowsXP Standard as the OS. When I boot up my system I get an error message as follows:

\b System based error has occurred, \plain\fs16\par\par OPEN FILE The system cannot find the file specified

I click "OK" on the error message, the message disappears and everything is normal.

Any way of getting rid of that message?

Appreciate any help.
Logan Mueller
Support

Hi Gerry,

This sounds like a bug. We will be sure to fix this. In the meantime, you can get rid of the message by deleting the corresponding registry branch at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Arainia\Gizmo\Drive\Startup

It's easiest just to highlight the Startup branch, in this path, and delete it altogether. Gizmo will recreate as necessary.

If you mount any ISO files with the Remount image when Windows starts-up option enabled, and then delete/move/rename the file in the interim, Gizmo is supposed to detect and fix this, but the version that you have is failing to do this. Thank for you letting us know.

I got this problem after I have installed v2.7 atop v2.6.3.
No help me.
My solution was to set Gizmo Central Service to OFF state. Now all images are mounted correctly without any messages. I use Win2kSP4 still.
Thnks
Logan Mueller
Support

Interesting. So you are getting the same OPEN FILE The system cannot find the file specified message when Windows starts up, just like Gerry posted? Or do you see a similar error message when you mount the file in the UI?

If you disable the Gizmo Central service, then the UI will fallback to mounting the image by itself, which will work, but only for the current user session, meaning, if you switched users, the mounted image would not appear for the other user. It is probably OK for your needs, but I'd really like to fix the error, if possible.

Unfortunately, we do not get the error message on any of our Win2K machines. So strange.

Do you remember if the error message began with OPEN FILE or was it GET DEVICE HANDLE? Because stopping the Gizmo Central service should not have solved the problem, if the error began with OPEN FILE

Yes, the error message began with GET DEVICE HANDLE. I saw this message when I was attempting to mount image.
Also I am the only and primary user of my home comp in fact (My daughter and wife don't count Very Happy )
Same problem but only when adding image to toolbar
Jerry Worcester

Running winXP pro sp3. I can make an iso and can mount and use it. But when I add it to the toolbar and try to use it, I get "System based error has occurred. OPEN FILE The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect." The iso will not open from the toolbar.
Anyone have an idea what is causing this?
Found the problem
Jerry Worcester

OK - so I found the problem but I don't understand exactly why it is fixed.

I deleted the toolbar shortcut that was not working.
Rather than right clicking on the toolbar ( what I had done before) and choosing "New Item". I did this:

Choose "Gizmo Manager" from the toolbar.
Choose "Toolbar Setup" on the left side panel
Then Choose "New Item" found just above above the "Gizmo Manager" listing in the right panel.
Go through the steps to choose the image as before.
This time I received a prompt to "Save" and so I did.
This seemed to solve the issue. I can now mount the iso from the toolbar.

Hope this helps anyone that has this problem in the future.
System based error has occurred