Reply to topic

WindowsImageBackup - impossible to mount VHD
Jean-Marc FOURNERON

Hello,

Bonjour,

I try to get back some files in a WindowsImageBackup.

One week ago, I made a backup of the complete computer and a usb disk, all at the same time (I now think it was an error) with the VISTA backup tool. Today I have a failure of the USB disk. I think : no problem, I have the backup... but then learn that windows do not allow to extract individual files.

Looking on the web, I find Gizmo Drive. Ouf I think... Gizmo succeed in mounting the VHD file that correspond to the main laptop HD, but send an error for the VHD corresponding to the USB Disk backup...

Message is : "
"this VHD file is not supported by gizmo drive. Only fixed and dynamic disks are supported."

Help ! I really need to save those files.

JM.
Wim van der Vegt

Hi,

You can mount the disk in a newly created virtual pc machine. When you assign it the extracted vhd file you can convert it to a supported format.

Please beware not to loose the undo disk if you have any. Those disks need to bve applied to the main disk image before you can do anything. Loosing the undo disk resets the main disk back in time.
Jean-Marc FOURNERON

Hello,

Thank's for the answer. My problem is that I'am a complete newbie about virtualization... I tried to install virtual PC, and to launch it without knowing how it works. I get an (I think normal) black bios screen, and no boot.

I'm afraid it will be too complex for me.

Poor datas...

Regards,
WindowsImageBackup - impossible to mount VHD