Reply to topic

Diary Corrupted while trying to integrate 2 books
StevenS

I tried to integrate 2 books in my diary. The whole thing became corrupted. I tried to reinstall the program, but then I became stuck with the trial version. And, I can't get my paid version back. Basically the whole thing is a mess now.

Any suggestions? I guess I need to redo the whole thing. I don't have my password handy.
Logan Mueller
Support

Can you describe how you went about "integrating" your books? Did you export/import, synchronize, etc?

Also, can you tell me what is happening that leads you to believe your booklets are corrupted? Are you seeing garbage on the screen, an error message, missing entries, etc?

Re-installing Pocket Diary should not require you to re-enter your serial number. Only if you delete the registry branch or re-install Windows, will you be required to re-enter the license information. If your program is showing up as unlicensed and you need your serial number resent, please e-mail me directly from the e-mail form in the Support area.

Thanks.

StevenS

Hi,
I did send you two emails that I thought described the problem.

Yes, I tried the import/export. Then I kept getting future dates with giberish as titles and some old dates. When I tried to open them I got an error message that basically shut my program down.

I tried to go to the bug section of the support and I did do some actions there. Things became a total mess and I tried to reinstall. Now I only get the evaluation program.

I am glad that you answered. My email is {e-mail protected}

Thanks. I hope you can help. I did purchase the program.
Logan Mueller
Support

Don't know if you came across this page during your search, but the link below is most likely related the problem you're experiencing:

http://arainia.com/software/pdiary/knownbugs.cgi?14

I don't remember the specifics, but I think this problem occurs when you import a non-encrypted entry into an encrypted booklet.

The people who reported this problem said that importing "wasn't working." When I tried to reproduce the issue (at the time) my booklets remained in tact, but the entries that were imported appeared blank. (Occassionally) Maybe some of the entries you imported contained large media or other binary information (large graphics?) and caused another side effect to occur.

Do you still have copies of the original booklets, or a backup? If not, I regret to say that your booklets are indeed corrupted and there is (unfortunately) very little I can do to fix them.

There may be hope though. Due to the nature of this bug, I have a feeling that the original entries in your booklet are actually readable, but the entries that were imported are partially corrupted and cause the application to crash sporadically. If this is the case, you could delete the offending entries to salvage your "integrated" book. Import the entries (from the other booklet) again, but this time, using the encrypted export format (*.pdexport) or instead, decrypt the "integrated" book temporarily, peform the import, then re-encrypt it.

Support

I've just found your e-mails. (We switched DNS) I will have your serial number resent.

Support

I wanted to mention, the preferred method for integrating (or merging) two booklets is to use the "Synchronize" feature under the "Book" menu. It merges books both ways, but it gets the job done. It's also easier, and doesn't encounter occasional issues with encryption.

I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. v1.4 fixes this problem completely, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to release that version yet.

In the future (as always) I would recommend doing a backup before importing/exporting with v1.3.

Steve

Thanks for your help.
I think your diary is the greates. I don't mind losing some of that stuff. Right now I am just trying to get back to square one.

I downloaded the program you suggestion and entered the code. However I am still getting the evaluation version and can't get back to my old paid version. Any help?
Never Mind
Steve

Never Mind. I got it going. Thanks.
Diary Corrupted while trying to integrate 2 books